2024_08_12 The Dentist, Pt. 1

I do not feel especially coherent. (I have not for at least a couple weeks). I think often of my mother in memory care. Signs (studies, tests) say I will follow her.


I will see a dentist today for the first time in three years. What will they see? Candidiasis, lichen planus, an overactive imagination?


I was up early and I did things. Took out trash, fed the cats, made tea and even did a small bit of work on a textile project (ironed a small pillowcase, activating a dye-removal paste I’d painted on the night before– it looks good!).


I remembered to turn off the front porch light. I used to throw my hip against the front door to make sure it latched, but that hurts now. 


I don't know what's important, almost forgot why I'm seeing the dentist. It's to screen for mouth cancer. Just in case. What with my cheek swelling and the little white patches and bleeding gums.

And the “favored to be” salivary stones that I didn't look into when I found them on a 2019 maxillofacial CT because there were no attributable symptoms beyond the dry mouth expected in a Sjogrens' suspect (seronegative) patient.


The nostril pimple that's been obstructing my breathing for a few days is clearing up after antibiotic ointment. THAT helps a lot; I was having terrible sleep and dazed days, as one does with limited oxygen to the brain. By yesterday, thinking was better but sacroiliac pain was bad, w secondary neck pain. Pain upon stretch/ reach of limbs continues, as do sporadic weird sharp pains in upper abdomen/ rib area. Mostly L side. Not heart, no worries!


Ok, so not much to tell dentist; just that concerned re salivary stones, r cheek swelling, patchy sore throat and bleeding gums. Since they're taking X-rays, presumably they'll see all that anyway, except maybe the cheek swelling which doesn't look so pronounced to me lately.


Am I gonna have to shower?

What uninteresting tangential data will I bring home this time? 

Stay tuned for the answers to other and possibly these questions!



____

After: 

I should make an appointment to get fitted for a night guard (mouth device to correct bite and/or mitigate apnea).

Dr.            surprised me with his knowledge of ADHD and its neurophysiological effects (recognizing jaw clenching as a result of these, not just stimulant medication). He obviously keeps up with the research and is not one of those “I just do teeth” dentists, for which I am very glad.

I could try whitening my teeth, but it might heighten the sensitivity.

But first I need to figure out if Medicare/aid won't pay for some dental expenses as today's appointment wasn't covered.


It's a lovely office and the people seem to get along well. I liked talking with the receptionists. 


Comments

Popular Posts