2024_08_13 The Dentist Pt. 2

 I really enjoyed my dentist appointment yesterday. 


We looked at the x-rays together, which of course was very exciting for me. He said sublingual salivary stones are rare to see in practice; the majority of salivary stones being located in the parotid gland because it's (long?) narrow and tortuous. He said the salivary stones were concerning because of how they extend into adjacent (other area word I forget. Maybe just “tissue”.).


Arrow points to distalmost presumed salivary stone of the cluster. Mandible outlined to clarify asymmetry. Dotted outline demarcates a patch of what the Dr. said is likely bone scarring from my sialendoscopy.

There was a pronounced width difference in the L and R mandible, heightening my doubts that the skull base asymmetry I've been focused on is of any importance. Because, the mandible width difference is obviously not caused by bone remodeling; and it's probable any nearby asymmetry is just an extension of that, right? 


(My temple headaches are because of jaw misalignment!!! It's hard to say how big a relief that is.)


I asked about the white patches in my throat and he took a closer look. Nothing pathological, just (proper name, starts with an F, followed by noun)--  fatty (deposits?) of no concern.


I had offered to show a picture of something and he asked if I was a little OCD about tracking my symptoms. I said yes, and with good reason; six years of undiagnosed and progressive illness, I will chase down any possible lead on an answer. He acknowledged the sense in that, sympathized with the uncertainty.


Leaves on a tree are not always symmetrical, and don't need to be to do their job. They can be asymmetric, have galls and scarring, parts torn off, and still function. 


And I can accept my asymmetry, and even leave lesions alone…


Once I have an explanation for these progressive neurological deficits. (Concentration, balance, muscle tension and weakness, gut dysmotility, breathing difficulty, whatever I'm forgetting.)


Until then I will scrutinize every possible lead to the best of my ability. I owe myself that. 


_________

At one point he said, not to sound harsh, but have they considered MS?

Yeah. I do think it's one of those. 

I freaking hope it's something, and not some heretofore unknown genetic clusterfuck that no one knows what to do with. Not that I'm not used to it… It's just I really do hope for improvement. 


At the same time I try to make the best of what is.

For fucks sake I must get myself to the beach. That, to me, in my dreams and nightmares, is the fullness of life: playing in the ocean, lying on the warm sand.



Comments

Popular Posts