En garde, regard

I spent the first hour of the morning coughing up water I aspirated while laughing at my roommate's reaction to a practical joke. In hindsight I don't regret my actions.

While waiting out my body's recovery process with a cup of tea, I put on a Sting song, 'Never coming home', which was followed by 'Englishman in New York'.

Paying attention to the lyrics for the first time I wondered if there was some irony in them, or whether he could really be singing to a Reggae beat about how hard is to be a white man in New York. As it was a genuine question, I sought out answers, beginning with the Oracle of Wiki.

The Oracle informed me that the song was inspired by Quentin Crisp, a famous name that I vaguely recall penetrating the lithosphere of my awareness. (Apparently he worked as a nude figure model, like I did.) It mentioned but did not expand on his controversial comments regarding the AIDS epidemic. My next question, what could those be, found its answer in this article: 

https://www.gayinthe80s.com/2015/02/1983-hivaids-quentin-crisp-declares-aids-is-just-a-fad/

Which brings us to my point: 

Look at the intelligent, thoughtfully worded entries in the Comments section! It's not quite pure communicational bliss, but they evidence a real effort to be heard, not just to judge. It's like a real correspondence, and I find it delightful. 

(Though I do suspect some moderation may have been involved.)

Comments

Popular Posts